Saturday 23 December 2017

Happy Holidays

What better way to start the holiday week than a snowy outing with some Running Room friends.  Around 30 people gathered for a scenic run followed by some hot chocolate and festive treats.

Just before heading out I was asked if I could guide Jason Dunkerley... it's not every day you get the chance to run with a Canadian Paralympic medalist!
I had not guided a blind runner before but was happy to have a go.  Jason and I had a quick chat (to make sure he wasn't expecting a pro!) and we were ready to go.

Initially I was a bit anxious about letting him down or not keeping up (his marathon PB being about 45 mins faster than mine).  Jason's relaxed, friendly attitude put me at ease though, and the group was doing easy '10 & 1s' at chatting pace so speed was not an issue - although I remained nervous about footing as we ran through a mix of snow, slush, and roads with various cracks and potholes.

We chatted away for the whole 8km - he is very humble for such an accomplished athlete - and we arrived without any slips or trips.  Running with Jason made me a lot more aware of my surroundings, above and beyond the surface underfoot. It certainly me made think about what I take for granted when I run.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment