Sunday 31 December 2017

Resolution Run Recap

The extreme cold warning remained in effect as runners prepared for the annual Resolution Run. With the temperature around -26c (not counting wind chill), the 10 km event was cancelled (along with a bunch of the outdoor celebrations on parliament hill), so a 3 km distance was added to the 5 km and the kids 1 km run.

After watching my family get underway on the 1 km, I got ready to run the 5 km with lots of familiar faces from my local Running Room.

I started too fast and struggled with the cold air, which made breathing difficult.  The extra layers made it tough to go fast, but I settled into a comfortable pace after the first km.

The route got particularly cold at Dows Lake where the wind picked up.  I was in the leading group at the turnaround and looking forward to getting back out of the cold!

There was a bit of congestion in the last mile as we mixed back in with the 3 km participants, requiring a bit of dodging and weaving, then it was a clear 500m sprint finish - around 7th place, in 20 mins 23 secs.

No comments:

Post a Comment